Erectile dysfunction: causes, symptoms, therapy. Erectile dysfunction is a sexual disorder that affects men of all ages. It is characterized by the inability to get or maintain an erection long...Read More
Best Treatment Options for Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to get or keep an erection. It can be caused by physical problems, psychological factors, or a combination of both.
ED is a common problem, affecting up to 30 million men in the United States. While there are many potential causes of ED, it is often the result of a combination of physical and psychological factors.
Physical causes of ED can include:
- Diseases such as diabetes or heart disease
- Injuries to the nerves or blood vessels
- Hormonal problems
- Certain medications
- Excessive alcohol use
Psychological causes of ED can include:
- Relationship problems
There are many treatment options available for ED, and the best option for you will depend on the cause of your ED and your overall health. Treatment options can include:
- Oral medications: These are often the first line of treatment for ED. Medications such as sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), and vardenafil (Levitra) can be effective in treating ED.
- Penile injections: These injections are an effective treatment for ED, but they can be painful. Injections are typically given two to three times per week.
- Vacuum devices: These devices are an effective treatment for ED, but they can be cumbersome to use. A vacuum device is placed over the penis, and the air is then pumped out of the device, creating a vacuum. The vacuum draws blood into the penis, resulting in an erection.
- Penile implants: This is a surgery that is an effective treatment for ED, but it is usually only considered as a last resort. Penile implants are permanent devices that are placed inside the penis. They can be used to treat ED that is the result of physical or psychological factors.
If you are experiencing ED, talk to your doctor about the best treatment option for you.