Everything you need to know about Shockwave Therapy for Erectile Dysfunction Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a medical condition where a man struggles to get or maintain an erection. While this...Read More
Treating Sexual Dysfunction in Patients With Multiple Sclerosis
Sexual dysfunction is a common problem for people with multiple sclerosis (MS). It can have a profound impact on quality of life and relationships. Fortunately, there are treatments available.
Sexual dysfunction includes any problem that prevents you from enjoying sex. It can be a problem with any part of the sexual response cycle, which includes desire, arousal, climax, and resolution.
Sexual dysfunction can be caused by MS itself or by MS treatments. It can also be the result of other health problems, such as depression, pain, or bladder problems.
Up to 80 percent of people with MS will have some form of sexual dysfunction. Men are more likely to have problems with erections, while women are more likely to have problems with lubrication, sensation, and orgasm.
Treatments for sexual dysfunction can be divided into three categories:
- Lifestyle changes. These can include managing other health problems, such as depression and pain.
- Medications. These can be used to treat problems with desire, arousal, and orgasm.
- Devices. These can be used to treat erectile dysfunction.
Your doctor can help you find the treatment or combination of treatments that will work best for you.
These changes can help improve sexual function:
- Manage other health problems. Treating problems such as depression, anxiety, and pain can improve sexual function.
- Exercise. This can improve overall fitness and help with fatigue. It can also improve sexual function by increasing blood flow to the genitals.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can damage blood vessels and affect blood flow to the genitals.
- Limit alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can interfere with sexual function.
These drugs can be used to treat sexual dysfunction:
- Viagra (sildenafil). This drug is used to treat erectile dysfunction. It can be taken by mouth or injected into the penis.
- Cialis (tadalafil). This drug is used to treat erectile dysfunction. It can be taken by mouth or injected into the penis.
- Levitra (vardenafil). This drug is used to treat erectile dysfunction. It can be taken by mouth or injected into the penis.
- MUSE (alprostadil). This drug is used to treat erectile dysfunction. It is a pellet that is inserted into the urethra (the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body).
- Testosterone. This hormone can be used to treat low libido in men. It can be given as a patch, gel, or injection.
- Vivitrol (naltrexone). This drug is used to treat low libido in women. It is a monthly injection.
- Addyi (flibanserin). This drug is used to treat low libido in women. It is taken by mouth.