Mayo Men’s Health Moment: Beware of Scam Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction Erectile dysfunction (ED), the inability to sustain an erection, is a problem that affects men of all ages, but...Read More
How to Use Natural Remedies to Address Erectile Dysfunction
Though it can be a tough topic to discuss, erectile dysfunction is a common problem that affects men of all ages. It’s important to seek medical help if you think you may have ED, but there are also natural remedies that may help.
before trying any natural remedy, it’s important to speak with your doctor. This is especially true if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking any medications.
Some potential natural remedies for ED include:
- L-arginine – Some research suggests that L-arginine may help with ED. L-arginine is an amino acid that helps expand blood vessels. Taking L-arginine may improve sexual function in men with ED by improving blood flow to the penis.
- DHEA – Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a hormone that the body converts into testosterone and estrogen. It’s available as a supplement, typically in the form of DHEA capsules. A small study found that DHEA supplements improved sexual function in older men with ED.
- Panax ginseng – Panax ginseng is a type of ginseng that is native to East Asia. A small study found that men who took Korean red ginseng supplements improved their ED symptoms compared to men who took a placebo.
- Ginkgo biloba – Ginkgo biloba is an herbal supplement that comes from the Ginkgo biloba tree. A small study found that taking ginkgo biloba supplements improved sexual function in men with mild to moderate ED.
- Acupuncture – Acupuncture is a form of traditional Chinese medicine that involves inserting thin needles into specific points on the body. A small study found that acupuncture improved ED symptoms in men who had not responded to other ED treatments.
While these natural remedies may improve ED symptoms, they can’t cure ED. If natural remedies don’t help, you may need to talk to your doctor about other ED treatments, such as oral medications, penile injections, or vacuum devices.