Erectile Dysfunction - Types, Causes, & Proven Ways To Overcome It Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to get or keep an erection. It can be a total inability to...Read More
What to Do If You Can’t Get an Erection | Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
It’s natural to feel frustrated or sad if you can’t get an erection. But don’t forget that you’re not alone. Most men experience erectile dysfunction at some point in their lives.
The good news is that there are many treatments that can help. While it may take a little trial and error to find the treatment that’s right for you, there’s a good chance you can find something that will work for you and your partner.
Here are some things you can try:
- Talk to your doctor. If you’re having trouble getting or maintaining an erection, talk to your doctor. He or she can help you identify the cause of the problem and suggest treatment options.
- Try a different medication. If you’re taking medication for other health conditions, such as high blood pressure or depression, it could be the cause of your erectile dysfunction. Talk to your doctor about changing your medication.
- Use a vacuum device. A vacuum device is a pump placed over the penis that draws blood into the penis, making it erect. A band is then placed around the base of the penis to keep the blood there and maintain the erection.
- Inject medication into the penis. Medication such as alprostadil (Caverject, Edex, Muse) is injected into the penis to increase blood flow and cause an erection.
- Have surgery. In some cases, surgery is needed to repair the underlying cause of erectile dysfunction.
If you’re concerned about erectile dysfunction, talk to your doctor — even if you’re embarrassed. Sometimes, treating an underlying condition is enough to reverse erectile dysfunction. In other cases, medications or other direct treatments might be needed.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment: Medications
Oral medications are a successful erectile dysfunction treatment for many men. They include:
- Sildenafil (Viagra). This medication is most effective when taken on an empty stomach one hour before sex. It’s effective for four to five hours or more if you have mild to moderate erectile dysfunction. Sildenafil may be taken with or without food, but taking it with a high-fat meal may increase the time before the medication starts working.
- Tadalafil (Cialis). Tadalafil (Adcirca) is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension and improve exercise capacity in men and women. Like sildenafil, it should be taken 30 to 60 minutes before sex. Tadalafil can be taken with or without food, but taking it with a high-fat meal may increase the time before the medication starts working.
- Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn). Vardenafil is taken 25 to 60 minutes before sex. It can be taken with or without food, but taking it with a high-fat meal may increase the time before the medication starts working.
These medications might not treat your erectile dysfunction immediately. You might need to work with your doctor to find the right medication and dosage for you.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment: Vacuum Devices
A vacuum device (also called a penis pump)