Erectile Dysfunction Erectile dysfunction (ED), also known as impotence, is a type of sexual dysfunction characterized by the inability to develop or maintain an erection of the penis during sexual...Read More
Natural Erectile Dysfunction Treatments
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to get or keep an erection. It can be caused by physical or psychological issues. Natural treatments for ED can include lifestyle changes, psychological counseling, and certain supplements. Here, learn more about various natural remedies that may help improve ED.
Certain lifestyle choices can contribute to the development of ED. These include:
- Obesity: Being overweight or obese can cause or worsen ED. Excess weight can also contribute to other conditions that may lead to ED, such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Poor diet: A diet that is high in saturated fat and low in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can contribute to ED. This is because such a diet can lead to obesity, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure—all of which are risk factors for ED.
- Lack of exercise: Physical activity helps to reduce the risk of ED. Exercise also helps to improve overall health, which can reduce the likelihood of developing ED.
- Smoking: Smoking cigarettes can damage blood vessels and contribute to ED.
- Excessive alcohol use: Drinking too much alcohol can cause ED. Alcohol abuse can also lead to other health problems that may cause ED, such as liver disease.
- Stress: Stress can interfere with sexual arousal and lead to ED.
- Anxiety: Anxiety and stress can both contribute to ED. anxious men may find it difficult to get or maintain an erection.
Psychological counseling may be helpful if psychological issues are contributing to ED. A therapist can help an individual to manage stress and anxiety, and work through relationship issues or other psychological issues that may be causing ED.
There is some evidence to suggest that certain supplements may help with ED. These include:
- Ginseng: Ginseng is a popular herbal remedy. A 2013 study found that ginseng may help to treat ED by improving blood flow to the penis.
- L-arginine: L-arginine is an amino acid that is necessary for the body to make proteins. A 2012 study found that L-arginine may help to treat ED by improving blood flow to the penis.
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA): DHEA is a hormone that is produced in the body. A 2016 study found that DHEA may help to treat ED by improving sexual function.
- Ginkgo biloba: Ginkgo biloba is an herbal remedy that is sometimes taken to improve overall health. A 2017 study found that ginkgo biloba may help to treat ED by improving blood flow to the penis.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is a form of Chinese medicine that has been used to treat a variety of conditions for centuries. A 2016 study found that acupuncture may help to treat ED by improving blood flow to the penis.
If you are considering taking a supplement to treat ED, it is important