Primal Grow Pro Review | Primal Grow Pro Male Enhancement There are many products on the market that claim to be able to help men with their sexual performance and...Read More
What CAUSES Erectile Dysfunction (ED)? – Part 1 of 3
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to get or keep an erection firm enough to have sexual intercourse. It can be a total inability to achieve an erection, an inconsistent ability to do so, or a tendency to sustain only brief erections.
Causes of erectile dysfunction (ED)
Erectile dysfunction (ED), or impotence, is the inability to obtain or maintain an erection sufficient for intercourse. Although most men occasionally fail to get an erection, or lose one prematurely during sexual activity, some men suffer from these problems regularly.
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem during any phase of the sexual response cycle that prevents the individual or couple from experiencing sexual satisfaction. While sexual dysfunction occurs in both men and women, it is more common in men.
There are three types of erectile dysfunction:
- Primary ED – You have never been able to achieve or sustain an erection.
- Secondary ED – You previously were able to achieve and sustain an erection, but now you are no longer able to do so.
- Situational ED – You can achieve and sustain an erection most of the time, but not every time you attempt sexual intercourse.
Many men experience ED as they age. The incidence of erectile dysfunction increases with age. It is estimated that about 1 in 10 adult males suffer from ED on a long-term basis.
Erectile dysfunction can result from a number of causes. Physical causes include:
- Cardiovascular disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Parkinson’s disease
- Metabolic syndrome – a combination of abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and insulin resistance
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease – the development of scar tissue inside the penis
- Cigarette smoking
- Substance abuse, including alcohol, cocaine, and heroin
- Side effects of prescribed medications
- Sleep disorders
Psychological causes of erectile dysfunction include:
- Relationship problems due to stress, poor communication, or other concerns
In some cases, erectile dysfunction is the result of a combination of physical and psychological causes.
Erectile dysfunction can have a negative impact on your overall quality of life. It can cause relationship problems, anxiety, and low self-esteem. If you are concerned about erectile dysfunction, talk to your doctor. Your doctor can help you identify the cause of your erectile dysfunction and recommend treatment options.