Causes of Impotence Impotence is the inability to get an erection. It can be caused by physical problems, psychological problems, or a combination of both. Physical problems that can cause...Read More
What Are the Common Causes of Erection Problem (Erectile Dysfunction)?
Erectile dysfunction (ED), also known as impotence, is the inability to get and maintain an erection. It is a common condition that affects men of all ages, but is more common in older men. ED can be a sign of an underlying medical condition, such as heart disease, diabetes, or high blood pressure. In some men, ED can be a side effect of certain medications. If you have ED, you may feel embarrassed or ashamed. But you are not alone. ED is a very common condition, and help is available.
Common causes of ED
There are many possible causes of ED, and they can be divided into two main categories: physical and psychological.
Physical causes of ED
The most common physical causes of ED are:
- cardiovascular disease – this can lead to narrowing of the arteries, which can in turn reduce blood flow to the penis
- diabetes – this can damage the nerves and blood vessels that control erections
- high blood pressure – this can damage the arteries that supply blood to the penis
- high cholesterol – this can narrow the arteries and reduce blood flow to the penis
- obesity – this can damage the arteries that supply blood to the penis
- metabolic syndrome – this is a combination of obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes, which can damage the arteries that supply blood to the penis
- Parkinson’s disease – this can damage the nerves that control erections
- multiple sclerosis – this can damage the nerves that control erections
- hormonal problems – this can interfere with the production of hormones that control erections
- injury to the penis, bladder, pelvis or spine – this can damage the nerves and blood vessels that control erections
- pelvic surgery – this can damage the nerves and blood vessels that control erections
- chronic illness – this can reduce the amount of testosterone in the blood
Psychological causes of ED
The most common psychological causes of ED are:
- relationship problems
If you have ED, it does not mean that you are not interested in sex. ED can be caused by a combination of physical and psychological factors. If you have a medical condition that is causing ED, treating the underlying condition will often resolve the problem. If you have a psychological condition that is causing ED, counselling or sex therapy may be helpful.
There are many different treatments for ED. The most common are:
- oral medications – these are medicines that you take by mouth to treat ED. The most common oral medications are:
- sildenafil (Viagra)
- tadalafil (Cialis)
- vardenafil (Levitra)
- injections into the penis – these are medicines that are injected into the penis to treat ED. The most